Jul 20, 2015

FAVOURITE SUMMER ALBUMS SO FAR... THE INTERTNET, YEARS & YEARS AND DONNIE TRUMPET & THE SOCIAL EXPERIMENT

Hi old friend, how are you?

It's been a little over a year since my last post and a lot has happened. I moved overseas and have been working at one of my dream companies and living that NY life, you know. But this post isn't about catching you up on life (and you can do all the stalking you want via social links below), its about sharing a snap shot of where I am now... well, musically anyway. 

I was walking to meet a friend for coffee this morning, it was a balmy 32 degrees with the sun blaring down onto the Brooklyn pavements and me jamming to some tunes that I have been loving recently. And something grabbed me to reflect on my favorite summer songs which lead me to think about my favorite summer albums. I soon become very chuffed to think that, even though I work in music, I still find it inspiring to continue my engagement with it in an active way. It lead me to break my blogging hiatus and bring you some of my favourite summer albums of 2015. Enjoy! 

1. COMMUNION // YEARS & YEARS
Years & Year's debut album is the best way to start the summer days. Full of punchy electronica
and enough soul/rhythm to get you out of those slightly sweat soaked sheets, and kick start your morning. Communion is light and airy, thanks to the flirty synths and British pop sensibilities, anchored by front man Olly Alexander's soothing vocals. Standout tracks for me are "Take Shelter" and "Ties," but you may know their singles "King", "Desire" or "Real" - all great, all needed in your music app of choice.
  


2. SURF // DONNIE TRUMPET & THE SOCIAL EXPERIMENT
There was a lot of hype for this album, and honestly after listening to the first taste off the album "Wanna Be Cool", I wasn't sure what the fuss was all about. But not long after listening to Billboard's (and one of my favorite podcasts out there) "Must Hear Music" podcast's recent episode, where all three hosts raved about the album, did I give it a full listen. Surf is one of those albums you need to hear in full from front to back and in order to not only enjoy it (rare in a lot of albums these days) but to also appreciate what Donnie Trumpet & Co are trying to establish with this new project of theirs. Full of special guests (Jeremih, Big Sean, Erykah Badu, Janelle Monae) if you're liking where this new wave of alternative/future soul music is going (and a fan of the horn section), give Surf a go and be pleasantly surprised by where it takes you. 



3. EGO DEATH // THE INTERNET
This list wouldn't be complete without the inclusion of this album. Since first listening to it in its entirety, I knew that it would be come one of my favorite albums of the year. And it still remains at the top of my list. Ego Death is heady, sultry and just a real special affair - just how anyone's summer night should be. Syd's voice and subject matter are nothing like what is out right now and the production and backing fills it out to give you an album that is both cohesive and fill with stand alone tracks. By far one of their best works, I have been playing this album non stop and its hard to pick favorites... but for now I enjoy "Girl," "Gabby" and "Just Sayin/I Tried"... all below for you. 
  



Have you listened to any of these albums? What are your thoughts? And if you have any to add that I can start to listen, leave them in the comments below. 

It feels nice to be back. xx

For now.


 
instagramtwitter • tumblr • bloglovin • facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh hello,